On Sun, 27 Jan 2013, shimi wrote:

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 00:30:02 +0200
From: shimi <linux...@shimi.net>
To: Jonathan Ben Avraham <y...@tkos.co.il>
Cc: ILUG <linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Re: [OT somewhat] DDOS attacks, where to report?

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Jonathan Ben Avraham <y...@tkos.co.il> wrote:

This is not true in general under Israeli law, as I have found out myself from
unfortunate personal experience. See
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%90%D7%99_%D7%9E%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%A2%D7%AA_%D7%A4%D7%A9%D7%A2

This law is about telling the authorities about a CRIME THAT IS GOING TO
HAPPEN, that you know about, so that the authorities can stop the criminal
PRIOR to the act of crime.

Unless you claim the ISP KNOWS that a DDoS will happen (in the future) to the
customer (they can't possibly know. like I've already said - chances of
catching the source behind a DDoS are almost nil) - I personally find it
difficult to understand
why you think this law is relevant on our case...

Hi Shimi,
This law is in fact applied to ongoing crime as well as futire crime. It's not enough that you know someone has been trafficking Ukrainain girls for two years already to exempt you from reporting it if you find out about it.

Also, not even sure that this is called a crime that happens within the borders
of Israel. After all, the attacker, and his 'associate' computers, are all (for
the lack of better knowledge) outside the borders of Israel when this happens.
Again,
the Israeli police (or Government) has no jurisdiction over the whole
Internet...

It's is enough for the victim to be affected in Israel for it to be a crime in Israel.

I think it is time for me to quote from the Serenity Prayer:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to
change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference."

Of course, I wish your friend luck if he opts to pursue this anyways, with the
hope for: a) any sort of success, and b) that he won't waste so much time/money
on his attempts...

I'm wondering if there isn't a public policy initiative that we should be pushing, perhaps through ISOC-IL. I mean, I'm all for prayer, that's necessary, but sometimes concrete action is required. The problem here is that some small players are getting soaked disproportionately for the county's wars.

 - yba

Good luck!

-- Shimi

--
 EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
     - y...@tkos.co.il - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -