On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Shachar Shemesh <shac...@shemesh.biz>wrote:

>  On 01/24/2013 02:44 PM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
>

> When you enable timestamps they don't match so the packet is discarded, this
> could be due to the ISP fiddling with the packets on the way.
>
>  I know what timestamp is, and what it is used for. I have not, yet,
> rebooted to see whether this does not happen when the problem is dormant.
> What I told Shimi was that I want as much information as possible, and
> since he seems to know a bit about it, I would like to hear it all.

If you want to know it all, I never did manage to penetrate the first-line
representative ("What's MTR? send me Windows traceroute so I can't see the
instability over time!"). Arguing with customer service is like fighting
the Borg. Resistance is futile...

So I solved it the way I know best: If you can't change them, show them you
put your money where your mouth is. Just like I did to Orange. I am waiting
for the day that most people in Israel would be like that, but
unfortunately, that day does not seem close :( We only care about
substantially lower price to make a difference... like what was caused by
Golan T. Some people not even that (still pay > 100NIS/mo. for even
sometimes a LIMITED cell line...)

Now I am connected through another ISP (which funnily enough, uses BezeqInt
for Intl' traffic, at least per traceroute, and is actually cheaper...),
and the problem is gone[*]. Now you know how I knew you were there...

-- Shimi

[*] Of course, that may have been sheer luck. It might happen to me again
one bright day in the future :) But for now, it probably simply doesn't
pass through their QoS engine, probably because the ISP has a fixed
bandwidth with them, and they don't really care _what_ passes on the link...