On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM, geoffrey mendelson <
geoffreymendel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/9/2014 3:08 PM, Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your answer. When I posted a link to a matrix of all the
>> current eink-based readers, I assumed it is obvious I want an e-ink based
>> one. I'd think dedicated reader would be more energy/weight/price efficient
>> than a general purpose tablet, but anything with e-ink will do! Also, as I
>> had stated, I'm not interested in buying DRM books anyway...
>>

> Not really. You can buy an active display android tablet for about the
> same money. E-ink displays are more energy efficient, but slow. You end up
> hitting the next button before you finish a page in the hope that it starts
> to refresh before you get to the last word in the page and finishes as you
> do.
>
> They also suck for displaying material that was originally color or
> scanned material. I have many books that were scanned and they are
> unreadable on an e-ink display,
>
> E-ink was an idea which came and went.

Not true at all. e-Ink continues to be developed and now is much quicker
then it used to be. Many vendors are developing new e-ink platforms.
I can reveal that I am working with one company on a better version of
their system that will be sold in Israel when it is done. It is based on
Android, will be able to read mostly EPUB but also PDF.
The same company is also developing a cellular phone with eInk touch
display.

--
Ori Idan