IMHO, C structs are no way near as usable as proper serialization
format. For example, what about optional fields? What about variable
length array? What about binary backwards compatibility? What about
supporting other languages? It's not trivial to take a C struct and
generate the proper struct.unpack string for it.

Look at the complexity in perf_event_open(2), just parsing the event
stream takes a good chunk of code[0], with many potential bugs.
Parsing it with protobuf (or one of the other serialization formats)
would take three lines or so, would be more efficient, and would be
easier to program against, and less prone to bugs, etc.

[0] Here is my take, and it's not even complete
https://gist.github.com/elazarl/c8404686e71ef0b36cc7