On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 11:54:01AM +0200, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> I really don't know how I screwed this up, but I've been "playing" with
> this for hours with no success.
>
> I have a raspberry PI file server. I rarely use the GUI and when I do
> it's usually over VNC (I use KRDC) or with ssh -X.
>
> As of today:
> 1 - KRDC won't connect
>
> 2 - ssh -X pi@pi   (pi is defined in /etc/hosts) gives only a console
> login and says:
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

What are the values of DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY when you connect via ssh?

> 3 - I connected a monitor directly to the PI and it will not accept the
> pi password when I try to login to X11 - but DOES accept the root
> password. So X11 is OK, but only for root - not the regular pi user.

I must be missing something, but: how are the two related? In (2) you
try to authorize X11 programs on the pi to connect to an X server
running on your PC.

In (3) you run an X server on the pi (and X11 clients running on the pi
that should connect to it).

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzaf...@jabber.org | VIM is
tzaf...@cohens.org.il |                    |  best