On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 07:30:33PM -0700, Marty Fouts wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >   3) some ISP systems yield 500 series errors with text:
> >     "system is temporarily busy"
> >      or something of that effect.  Now THAT is really offensive
> >      stupidity by the ISP software folks...
>
> <sigh>  There is nothing in the SMTP RFCs that require any to be able to
> accept all email at all times.  SMTP is *not* designed to be a reliable
> delivery mechanism, let alone a first-time reliable delivery mechanism.
> Refusal to accept email because the receiving system is under high load is
> well understood, commonly accepted, and even codified in implementation
> practice.

        Yes, but the Specified Way to handle temporary problems is to
        yield 400-series codes, or defer answering to the SMTP connections
        at all.

        Yielding 500 series replies means "this address is now and forever
        invalid, don't try this again."

> In my opinion, you are doing a GoodThing(tm) by trying to weed broken
> addresses from the mailing list. But please don't demand from the internet
> behavior it wasn't designed to provide.

        Seeing bad behaviour at 2 ISPs doesn't count to me as something
        which majority of implementations are supposed to do.

> Marty

/Matti Aarnio