On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 02:17:23PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 10/25/2015 12:58 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
> > Well, I was thinking we could just teach them to use
> > "syscall(SYS_gettid)".
>
> Right, and that's easier if TIDs are officially part of the GNU API.
>
> I think the worry is that some future system might have TIDs which do
> not share the PID space, or are real descriptors (that they need
> explicit open and close operations).

For the scheduler the sharing of pid/tid space is not an issue.

Semantically all [1] scheduler syscalls take a tid. There isn't a single
syscall that iterates the thread group.

Even sys_setpriority() interprets its @who argument as a tid when
@which == PRIO_PROCESS (PRIO_PGRP looks to be the actual process).

[1] as seen from: git grep SYSCALL kernel/sched/