On 2016年06月03日 19:47, Michael Ellerman wrote:
On Thu, 2015-10-12 at 07:30:02 UTC, xinhui wrote:
From: Pan Xinhui <xinhui....@linux.vnet.ibm.com>

When we merge two contiguous partitions whose signatures are marked
NVRAM_SIG_FREE, We need update prev's length and checksum, then write it
to nvram, not cur's. So lets fix this mistake now.

Also use memset instead of strncpy to set the partition's name. It's
more readable if we want to fill up with duplicate chars .

Does this ever happen in practice? ie. should we backport the fix to stable
kernels?

I did not see that nvram warning in practice. BUT I suggest to backport it to
stable kernel. :)

Let me recall the story. :)
In past days, I was using pstore to keep some kernel logs. and sometimes I
found my own logs and the panic logs did not show.
pstore use a fixed-address reserved memory In x86 while nvram instead in ppc.

Then I spent some days to review the nvram codes.
And worked out three patches to fix all issues that I found in nvram. BUT looks
like I only sent out two of them. :)
I lost the third patch maybe...

Has it always been broken?

no. after nvram partition corruption hit, all nvram partitions will be erased
and re-alloc after the second machine reboot.
I don't know who does it but i guess it is the firmware. :)

thanks
xinhui
cheers