On Thu, 15 Sep 2016, Kyle Huey wrote:
First of all, please add a cover letter [PATCH 0/N] to your patch series
and send it with something which provides proper mail threading.
See: git-send-email, quilt
> arch_prctl is currently 64-bit only. Wire it up for 32-bits, as a no-op for
> now. Rename the second arg to a more generic name.
This changelog is useless.
- it does not provide any rationale for this change, i.e. why this is
required. Just because its 64bit only is not a reason.
- "Rename the second arg to a more generic name" does not give
any useful information.
Misleading information is worse than no information.
Further your patch does 5 things at once. It wants to be split into parts:
1) Rename do_arch_prctl() and change the argument name,
> -long do_arch_prctl(struct task_struct *task, int code, unsigned long addr)
> +long do_arch_prctl_64(struct task_struct *task, int code, unsigned long arg2)
2) Provide do_arch_prctl_common() and hook it up to the arch_prctl syscall
> -long sys_arch_prctl(int code, unsigned long addr)
> +SYSCALL_DEFINE2(arch_prctl, int, code, unsigned long, arg2)
> - return do_arch_prctl(current, code, addr);
> + long ret;
> + ret = do_arch_prctl_64(current, code, arg2);
> + if (ret == -EINVAL)
> + ret = do_arch_prctl_common(current, code, arg2);
> + return ret;
3) Implement the compat version