After upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10, I can't build kernels anymore unless
the following patch is applied to the kernel Makefile. A word of
caution for anybody that is planning to update their development

Please refer to the Ubuntu 16.10 release notes for more details.

Ubuntu is recommended applying this patch for building Linux kernels.
I am not sure this is the right way to go. I am hoping this is
work-around and patching the kernel Makefile will not be the solution
going forward.

I haven't seen any patch sent upstream to make this change, so I still
hope this is a temporary work-around. Maybe be there is patch that
came through and you are aware of this problem?

-- Shuah