Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Mon 07-08-17 22:28:27, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> > Michal Hocko wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > there are two issues this patch series attempts to fix. First one is
> > > something that has been broken since MMF_UNSTABLE flag introduction
> > > and I guess we should backport it stable trees (patch 1). The other
> > > issue has been brought up by Wenwei Tao and Tetsuo Handa has created
> > > a test case to trigger it very reliably. I am not yet sure this is a
> > > stable material because the test case is rather artificial. If there is
> > > a demand for the stable backport I will prepare it, of course, though.
> > >
> > > I hope I've done the second patch correctly but I would definitely
> > > appreciate some more eyes on it. Hence CCing Andrea and Kirill. My
> > > previous attempt with some more context was posted here
> > > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20170803135902.31977-1-mho...@kernel.org
> > >
> > > My testing didn't show anything unusual with these two applied on top of
> > > the mmotm tree.
> >
> > I really don't like your likely/unlikely speculation.
>
> Have you seen any non artificial workload triggering this?

It will be 5 to 10 years away from now to know whether non artificial
workload triggers this. (I mean, customers start using RHEL8.)

>                                                            Look, I am
> not going to argue about how likely this is or not. I've said I am
> willing to do backports if there is a demand but please do realize that
> this is not a trivial change to backport pre 4.9 kernels would require
> MMF_UNSTABLE to be backported as well. This all can be discussed
> after the merge so can we focus on the review now rather than any
> distractions?

3f70dc38cec2 was not working as expected. Nobody tested that OOM situation.
Then, I think we can revert 3f70dc38cec2, and then make it possible to uniformly
apply MMF_UNSTABLE to all 4.6+ kernels.

> Also please note that while writing zeros is certainly bad any integrity
> assumptions are basically off when an application gets killed
> unexpectedly while performing an IO.

I consider unexpectedly saving process image (instead of zeros) to a file
is similar to fs.suid_dumpable problem (i.e. could cause a security problem).
I do expect that this patch is backported to RHEL8 (I don't know which version
RHEL8 will choose, but I guess it will be between 4.6 and 4.13).