On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:21:09 +1100
"Tobin C. Harding" <m...@tobin.cc> wrote:

> Unless I'm a proper wombat that entry is not in the mainline MAINTAINERS
> file.

Um...from current git...

DOCUMENTATION
M:      Jonathan Corbet <cor...@lwn.net>
L:      linux-...@vger.kernel.org
S:      Maintained
F:      Documentation/
F:      scripts/kernel-doc
X:      Documentation/ABI/
X:      Documentation/devicetree/
X:      Documentation/acpi
X:      Documentation/power
X:      Documentation/spi
X:      Documentation/media
T:      git git://git.lwn.net/linux.git docs-next

I've never called anybody a "wombat" before and don't plan to start now,
but...you might want to take another look?

> Adding a remote using the above URL
>
> # Jon's docs tree
> [remote "corbet"]
>       url = git://git.lwn.net/linux.git
>       fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/corbet/*
>       pushurl = no_push
>

> fails to git fetch, but ping showed me
>
>         git://git3.lwn.net/linux.git
>
> Using that URL, fetched just fine.

$ host git.lwn.net
git.lwn.net is an alias for git3.lwn.net.

Either should work just fine (except that git3 will almost certainly break
someday).  Not sure why you're having trouble there.

jon