On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 12:36:47PM -0500, Steven Sistare wrote:

> >> For the benefit of other readers, if we always search and choose starting
> >> from
> >> the first CPU in a core, then later searches will often need to traverse
> >> the first
> >> N busy CPU's to find the first idle CPU.  Choosing a random starting point
> >> avoids
> >> such bias.  It is probably a win for processors with 4 to 8 CPUs per core,
> >> and
> >> a slight but hopefully negligible loss for 2 CPUs per core, and I agree we
> >> need
> >> to see performance data for this as a separate patch to decide.  We have
> >> SPARC
> >> systems with 8 CPUs per core.
> >
> > Which is why the current code already doesn't start from the first cpu
> > in the mask. We start at whatever CPU the task ran last on, which is
> > effectively 'random' if the system is busy.
> >
> > So how is a per-cpu rotor better than that?
>
> The current code is:
>         for_each_cpu(cpu, cpu_smt_mask(target)) {
>
> For an 8-cpu/core processor, 8 values of target map to the same cpu_smt_mask.
> 8 different tasks will traverse the mask in the same order.

Ooh, the SMT loop.. yes that can be improved. But look at the other
ones, they do:

  for_each_cpu_wrap(cpu, sched_domain_span(), target)

so we look for an idle cpu in the LLC domain, and start iteration at
@target, which will (on average) be different for different CPUs, and
thus hopefully find different idle CPUs.

You could simple change the SMT loop to something like:

  for_each_cpu_wrap(cpu, cpu_smt_mask(target), target)

and see what that does.