On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 12:20 AM, Shakeel Butt <shake...@google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Amir Goldstein <amir7...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:10 PM, Shakeel Butt <shake...@google.com> wrote:
[...]
>>> Are there any error which are not related to queue overflows? I see
>>> the mention of ENODEV and EOVERFLOW in the discussion. If there are
>>> such errors and might be interesting to the listener then we should
>>> have 2 independent APIs.
>>>

>> These are indeed 2 different use cases.
>> A Q_OVERFLOW event is only expected one of ENOMEM or
>> EOVERFLOW in event->fd, but other events (like open of special device
>> file) can have ENODEV in event->fd.
>>
>> But I am not convinced that those require 2 independent APIs.
>> Specifying FAN_Q_ERR means that the user expects to reads errors
>> from event->fd.
>>

> Can you please explain what you mean by 2 independent APIs? I thought
> "no independent APIs" means FAN_Q_ERR can only be used with
> FAN_Q_OVERFLOW and without FAN_Q_OVERFLOW, FAN_Q_ERR is ignored. Is
> that right or I misunderstood?

What I initially meant to say was, we actually consider several
behavior changes:
1. Charge event allocations to memcg of listener
2. Queue a Q_OVERFLOW event on ENOMEM of event allocation
3. Report the error to user on metadata->fd (instead of FAN_NOFD)
4. Allow non Q_OVERFLOW event to have negative metadata->fd.

#3 is applicable both to Q_OVERFLOW event and other events that
can't provide and open file descriptor for some reason (i.e. ENODEV).

#1 and #2 could be independent, but they both make sense together.
When enabling #1 user increases the chance of ENOMEM and therefore
#2 is desired. So if we are going to let distro/admin/programmer to
opt-in for what we believe to be a "change of behavior for the best", then
we could consider that opting-in  for #1 will also imply opting-in for #2
and #3 (as the means to report Q_OVERFLOW due to ENOMEM).

I guess we will need to allow user to opt-in to #4 and #3 by FAN_Q_ERR
mask flag to cover the ENODEV case independently from opting-in to
charging memcg.

How was I doing in the balance of adding clarity vs. adding confusion?

Thanks,
Amir.