On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:57:27AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>* Baoquan He <b...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ingo,

>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Manual solutions like that are pretty suboptimal to users, aren't they?
>> >
>> > In what way does memory hotplug feature 'break'? Does it crash or
>> > misbehave? Or
>> > simply does it not allow the movement of the affected memory region, while
>> > still
>> > allowing the rest to be moved?
>>
>> AFAIT, if kernel is randomized into the movable memory region, the
>> affected memory region can not be hot added/removed since it has kernel
>> data. Surely, the system can still work, the unaffected part still can
>> be moved. Still it will cause regression on memory hotplug.
>>
>> Mainly we parse SRAT table to get the ranges of memory provided by
>> hot-added memory devices in initmem_init(), that's very late. During boot,
>> we don't know it. Chao ever posted patches to grab SRAT at decompressing
>> stage, the code is very complicated and not elegant, ACPI maintainer
>> NACKed that.

Thanks for Ingo's suggestion and Baoquan's explaination.

Yes, I did ever try to dig SRAT table in boot period in early RFC PATCH:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/9/3/77
But the change is too huge so made this patchset to avoid this bug in a
small change, which will not make the code looks messy.

Thanks,
Chao Fan