On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 03:10:47PM +0100, Maciej S. Szmigiero wrote:
> And this current maximum was reached by CPU types added in
> families < 15h during last 10+ years (the oldest supported CPU family in

You're assuming that the rate of adding patches to the microcode
container won't change. You have a crystal ball which shows you the

Ok, enough with the bullshit.

Here's what I'll take as hardening patches:

1. Check whether the equivalence table length is not exceeding the size
of the whole blob. This is the only sane limit check we can do - no
arbitrary bullshit of it'll take how many years to reach some limit.

2. Add a PATCH_MAX_SIZE macro which evaluates against the max of all
family patch sizes:

#define F1XH_MPB_MAX_SIZE 2048
#define F14H_MPB_MAX_SIZE 1824
#define F15H_MPB_MAX_SIZE 4096
#define F16H_MPB_MAX_SIZE 3458
#define F17H_MPB_MAX_SIZE 3200

so that future additions won't break the macro.

3. Fix install_equiv_cpu_table() to return an unsigned int

Make all the points above into separate patches, please, with proper
commit messages explaining why they do what they do and test them.

Good mailing practices for 400: avoid top-posting and trim the reply.