On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 03:08:53PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 2:08 PM Bjorn Helgaas <helg...@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> >   - squash AER directory into drivers/pci/pcie/aer.c (Bjorn Helgaas)
>
> Could we please see *reasons* for this series of commits?
>
> Those commit messages have trivial "what", but no explanations "why".

The reason for this was to consolidate the AER-related code in one
file instead of several little ones:

  $ wc -l drivers/pci/pcie/aer/*
    141 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/aerdrv_acpi.c
    371 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/aerdrv.c
    496 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/aerdrv_core.c
    260 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/aerdrv_errprint.c
     95 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/aerdrv.h
    550 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/aer_inject.c
    117 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/ecrc.c
     29 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/Kconfig
     19 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/Kconfig.debug
     13 drivers/pci/pcie/aer/Makefile

The original separation made logical sense but ended up being a hassle
in practice because following a thread of execution is always being
interrupted by having to find something in a different file.

Bjorn