On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 01:56:15PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Adding davem for the sparc issue, Martin for the s390 one.
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 1:46 PM Guenter Roeck <li...@roeck-us.net> wrote:
> >
> > The s390 gcc plugins related build error reported previously has not really
> > been fixed; after feedback from the s390 maintainers, suggesting that it
> > won't get fixed in 4.18, I disabled GCC_PLUGINS for s390 builds. This is
> > not my preferred solution, but it beats not testing s390:allmodconfig
> > builds at all.
>
> Martin - can we just remove the
>
>          select HAVE_GCC_PLUGINS
>
> from the s390 Kconfig file (or perhaps add "if BROKEN" or something to
> disable it).
>
> Because if it's not getting fixed, it shouldn't be exposed.

The problem only affects 4.18 - the code has been rearranged in -next.
Only, in my builders, I can't disable a flag for individual releases,
so I just disabled it completely for s390.

> > The sparc32 build error is still:
> >
> > In file included from
> >         from drivers/staging/media/omap4iss/iss_video.c:15:
> > include/linux/highmem.h: In function 'clear_user_highpage':
> > include/linux/highmem.h:137:31: error:
> >         passing argument 1 of 'sparc_flush_page_to_ram' from incompatible
> > pointer type
> >
> > due to a missing declaration of 'struct page', as previously reported.
>
> Hmm.  I assume it's
>
>     arch/sparc/include/asm/cacheflush_32.h
>
> that wants a forward-declaration of 'struct page', and doesn't include
> any header files.
>
> The fix is presumably to move the
>
>    #include <asm/cacheflush.h>
>
> in drivers/staging/media/omap4iss/iss_video.c down to below the
> <linux/*> includes?

Good idea.

> The old patchwork link you had for a fix no longer works, I think
> because the patchwork database got re-generated during the upgrade
> (and the patchwork numbering isn't stable).

Looks like they dropped lkml completely. Odd.

My patch is also at

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/937283/

Also, there is now another patch from Randy Dunlap, pretty much
doing the same.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/947434/

I'll submit separate patches to address the include file ordering;
it does make sense to do that. I'll do the same for android/binder.c;
it has the same problem, only there it only generates a warning.

Thanks,
Guenter