Hi Greg,

On 2018/8/2 14:15, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 05:09:13PM +0800, Chao Yu wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> On 2018/7/30 14:31, Gao Xiang wrote:
>>> Hi Stephen,

>> Xiang has submitted several patches as below to fix compiling error on -next
>> tree, could you consider to merge those temporary fixes into -next after
>> merging
>> staging-next's updates, and reenable CONFIG_EROFS_FS for further integrity
>> compiling and test?
>>
>> staging: erofs: fix superblock/inode flags (MS_RDONLY -> SB_RDONLY,
>> S_NOATIME)
>> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linux-erofs/2018-July/000282.html
>>
>> staging: erofs: remove RADIX_TREE_EXCEPTIONAL_{ENTRY, SHIFT}
>> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linux-erofs/2018-July/000283.html
>>
>> staging: erofs: update .mount and .remount_sb
>> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linux-erofs/2018-July/000285.html
>
> Why have these not been submitted to me for inclusion in my tree?
Oh, let me explain, that is because the compiling error only occurs in -next
tree, since -next collects and merges developing patches including common vfs
stuff from multi-trees, but those patches didn't cover erofs, such as:

('vfs: Suppress MS_* flag defs within the kernel unless explicitly enabled")
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git/commit/?h=for-next&id=109b45090d7d3ce2797bb1ef7f70eead5bfe0ff3

("vfs: Require specification of size of mount data for internal mounts")
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git/commit/?h=for-next&id=0a191e4505a4f255e6513b49426213da69bf0e80

As I checked, above vfs related patches has not been merged in staging tree, if
I submit those erofs patches to you and after including them in
staging-{test,nexts} tree, it can easily cause compiling error. So I just send
them to Stephen first for fixing integrity compiling error.

Then I'd like to ask how to handle this condition to avoid potential conflict in
between erofs and vfs changes during merging window. As Stephen suggested, we
can disabling CONFIG_EROFS_FS temporarily to pass merge window, and after that
we reenable CONFIG_EROFS_FS and apply those fixing patches.

I'd like to ask and make sure, do you agree that we can handle the condition by
this way? or do you have any suggestion about solving this issue?

Thanks,