On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 07:08:18PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 08:07:39PM +0800, Guo Ren wrote:
> > This is the 3th version patchset to add the Linux kernel port for
> > C-SKY(csky).
> > Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on the previous version.
> >
> > This patchset adds architecture support to Linux for C-SKY's 32-bit embedded
> > CPU cores and the patches are based on linux-4.18.4
> >
> > There are two ABI versions with several CPU cores in this patchset:
> >   ABIv1: ck610 (16-bit instruction, 32-bit data path, VIPT Cache ...)
> >   ABIv2: ck807 ck810 ck860 (16/32-bit variable length instruction, PIPT
> > Cache,
> >      SMP ...)
> >

> My key question is about upstream toolchain support.
> The buildroot clone tells me
>
> $ git describe csky/master
> 2017.11-2111-ge9cc5a5
>
> and
>
> $ git log --oneline origin/master..csky/master  | wc
>    1180    7436   57104
>
> with
> $ git remote -v
> csky  https://gitlab.com/c-sky/buildroot.git
> origin        git://git.buildroot.net/buildroot
>
> So it looks like there are more thasn a thousand patches on top of
> buildroot. Adding an architecture to buildroot should only take a
> single patch, or maybe a few, but not more than a thousand.
> This strongly suggests that a lot of changes are not upstream
> but only available in the buildroot clone.
  csky  https://gitlab.com/c-sky/buildroot.git is our CI environment
  based on buildroot and it's so miscellaneous.
  We won't upstream it directly and we'll prepare another patch set for
  buildroot.org update after kernel, glibc upstreamed.

> When are we going to see all those changes in upstream gcc, binutils,
> and qemu ? I don't really want to dig through more than a thousand
> patches in a buildroot clone to find out details about the status
> of upstream toolchain support.
  Ok, you want to use upstream gcc, binutils to build the kernel. I'll
  give the tips in next version patch.

Best Regards
 Guo Ren