On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 05:21:20PM +0530, Pintu Kumar wrote:
> [...]
>
> ~ # grep -H '' /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/*
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/full_scans:29
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/page_comparisons:39584
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_hashed:11672
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_scanned:21766
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_shared:3
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_sharing:10097
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_to_scan:200
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_unshared:53
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_volatile:1
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run:0
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs:1000
> ---------------------------
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>         int i, n, size, ret;
>         char *buffer;
>         void *addr;
>
>         n = 100;
>         size = 100 * getpagesize();
>         for (i = 0; i < n; i++) {
>                 buffer = (char *)malloc(size);
>                 memset(buffer, 0xff, size);
>                 madvise(buffer, size, MADV_MERGEABLE);
>                 if (ret < 0) {
>                         fprintf(stderr, "malloc madvise failed: ret:
> %d, reason: %s\n", ret, strerror(errno));
>                 }
>                 usleep(500);
>         }
>         printf("Done....press ^C\n");
>         pause();
>         return 0;
> }
> Note: madvise() system call is not failing here, as mentioned earlier.
> I guess the page is aligned with getpagesize().
> Then I do this to invoke ksm:
> # echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
> # ./malloc-test.out &
> # sleep 5
> # echo 0 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
> #
>
> Also, the anon pages in the system shows like this:
> BEFORE:
> -------------
> ~ # cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i anon
> Active(anon):      40740 kB
> Inactive(anon):        0 kB
> AnonPages:         40760 kB
> AnonHugePages:         0 kB
>
> AFTER MERGING:
> --------------------------
> ~ # cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i anon
> Active(anon):        440 kB
> Inactive(anon):        0 kB
> AnonPages:           188 kB
> AnonHugePages:         0 kB
>
> I want to understand the KSM output w.r.t to the above program, and
> cross-check if the output is correct.
> Can someone help me to understand it?
>
> As of now, what I understood is that:
> - I am allocating around 400KB of memory 100 times. That is: 100 * 100
> * 4K = 10000 pages (which are all with similar content).
> - Output says: 10097 page_sharing happened.
> - Pages currently shared is: 3
> - So total pages are: 10097 + 3 = 10100
>
> I could not understand from where the additional 100 pages came from?
> Also, why some pages are shown as: pages_unshared ?
> What can I interpret from this?
> And, what does it mean by: pages_volatile:1 ?
>
> Basically, I wanted to understand, is there any problem with the above

The ksm sysfs attributes are described at
Documentation/admin-guide/mm/ksm.rst or online at [1].

The numbers look sane in general. The additional pages may come from malloc
metadata that is created by libc when you allocate memory.

I'd recommend to use mmap() or posix_memalign() with page size alignment to
get exact amount of page aligned memory.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/mm/ksm.html

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.