Hi Song,

On 09/25/2018 03:55 AM, Song Liu wrote:
> This patch tries to enable PMU sharing. To make perf event scheduling
> fast, we use special data structures.
>
> An array of "struct perf_event_dup" is added to the perf_event_context,
> to remember all the duplicated events under this ctx. All the events
> under this ctx has a "dup_id" pointing to its perf_event_dup. Compatible
> events under the same ctx share the same perf_event_dup. The following
> figure shows a simplified version of the data structure.
>
>       ctx ->  perf_event_dup -> master
>                      ^
>          perf_event /|
>          perf_event /

I've not gone through the patch in detail, but I was specifically
interested in scenarios where one perf instance is counting event
systemwide and thus other perf instance fails to count the same
event for a specific workload because that event can be counted
in one hw counter only.

Ex: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/12/1011

Seems this patch does not solve this issue. Please let me know if
I'm missing anything.

Thanks,
Ravi