On 6 Oct 2018, at 17:37, James Bottomley wrote:

Significant concern has been expressed about the responsibilities outlined in the enforcement clause of the new code of conduct. Since there is concern
that this becomes binding on the release of the 4.19 kernel, strip the
enforcement clauses to give the community time to consider and debate how this
should be handled.

Even in the places where I don't agree with the discussion about what our code of conduct should be, I love that we're having it. Removing the enforcement clause basically goes back to the way things were. We'd be recognizing that we know issues happen, and explicitly stating that when serious events do happen, the community as a whole isn't committing to helping.

It's true there are a lot of questions about how the community resolves problems and holds each other accountable for maintaining any code of conduct. I think the enforcement section leaves us the room we need to continue discussions and still make it clear that we're making an effort to shift away from the harsh discussions in the past.

-chris