On Tue, Nov 27 2018, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> Thanks for the report!

Yes, thanks.  I thought I had replied to the previous report of a similar
problem, but I didn't actually send that email - oops.
Though the test is the same and the regression similar, this is a
different patch.  The previous report identified
 fs/locks: allow a lock request to block other requests
this one identifies
  fs/locks: always delete_block after waiting.

Both cause blocked_lock_lock to be taken more often.

In one case is it due to locks_move_blocks().  That can probably be
optimised to skip the lock if list_empty(&fl->fl_blocked_requests).
I'd need to double-check, but I think that is safe to check without
locking.

This one causes locks_delete_blocks() to be called more often.  We now
call it even if no waiting happened at all.  I suspect we can test for
that and avoid it.  I'll have a look.

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 02:01:02PM +0800, kernel test robot wrote:
>> FYI, we noticed a -62.5% regression of will-it-scale.per_thread_ops due to
>> commit:
>>

>> commit: 83b381078b5ecab098ebf6bc9548bb32af1dbf31 ("fs/locks: always
>> delete_block after waiting.")
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jlayton/linux.git locks-next
>>
>> in testcase: will-it-scale
>> on test machine: 88 threads Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz with
>> 64G memory
>> with following parameters:
>>
>>      nr_task: 16
>>      mode: thread
>>      test: lock1
>
> So I guess it's doing this, uncontended file lock/unlock?:
>

> https://github.com/antonblanchard/will-it-scale/blob/master/tests/lock1.c
>
> Each thread is repeatedly locking and unlocking a file that is only used
> by that thread.

Thanks for identifying that Bruce.
This would certainly be a case where locks_delete_block() is now being
called when it wasn't before.

> By the way, what's the X-axis on these graphs?  (Or the y-axis, for that
> matter?)

A key would help.  I think the X-axis is number-of-threads.  y-axis
might be ops-per-second ??.

Thanks,
NeilBrown