On 29/11/18 18:12, David Lechner wrote:
> On 11/29/18 4:29 AM, Roger Quadros wrote:
>> Bjorn, Suman,

>>> This seems like an overly complex solution for a rather simple
>>> problem. Instead of passing all sorts of flags, could we just add
>>> a parameter named "page" to da_to_va() that indicates the memory
>>> page of the address in the remote processor?
>>>
>>> Or perhaps there is some other use for all of these flags that I
>>> am not aware of?
>>
>> I'm not a big fan of this patch either.
>>
>> rproc_da_to_va() is used at the following places
>>
>> 2 qcom_q6v5_mss.c         qcom_q6v5_dump_segment           974 void *ptr =
>> rproc_da_to_va(rproc, segment->da, segment->size,
>> 3 remoteproc_core.c       rproc_da_to_va                   197 void
>> *rproc_da_to_va(struct rproc *rproc, u64 da, int len, u32 flags)
>> 4 remoteproc_core.c       rproc_handle_trace               582 ptr =
>> rproc_da_to_va(rproc, rsc->da, rsc->len, RPROC_FLAGS_NONE);
>> 5 remoteproc_core.c       rproc_coredump                  1592 ptr =
>> rproc_da_to_va(rproc, segment->da, segment->size,
>> 6 remoteproc_elf_loader.c rproc_elf_load_segments          185 ptr =
>> rproc_da_to_va(rproc, da, memsz,
>> 7 remoteproc_elf_loader.c rproc_elf_find_loaded_rsc_table  337 return
>> rproc_da_to_va(rproc, shdr->sh_addr, shdr->sh_size,
>>
>> At rproc_elf_load_segments() we need to pass enough information so that
>> the rproc driver can load the segment into proper area (IRAM vs DRAM).
>> So providing page should suffice.
>
> FYI, the PRU series I sent a while back has some patches to do
> something like this so feel free to use them if they are helpful.
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20180623210810.21232-2-da...@lechnology.com/
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20180623210810.21232-3-da...@lechnology.com/

Thanks. I think we need to do something like that. Too bad you had to reverse
engineer
the TI specific headers. I'll check if we have this available somewhere
internally.

>> I want to understand more about rproc_elf_find_loaded_rsc_table() myself.
>> rproc_elf_find_loaded_rsc_table() is called only in rproc_start() in
>> remoteproc_core.c
>> with the comment
>>
>>          /*
>>           * The starting device has been given the rproc->cached_table as the
>>           * resource table. The address of the vring along with the other
>>           * allocated resources (carveouts etc) is stored in cached_table.
>>           * In order to pass this information to the remote device we must
>> copy
>>           * this information to device memory. We also update the table_ptr
>> so
>>           * that any subsequent changes will be applied to the loaded
>> version.
>>           */
>>          loaded_table = rproc_find_loaded_rsc_table(rproc, fw);
>>
>> Why isn't cached_table sufficient?
>> Why do we need to call rproc_find_loaded_rsc_table()?
>>
>> why do we need to load the resource table into remote processor memory at
>> all.
>> As discussed earlier, some PRU systems have very little memory (512 bytes?)
>> and we want to avoid unnecessary loading.

This question still holds.
Suman?

cheers,
-roger

--
Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki