On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:08:09PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
wrote:
> On 14.04.19 22:14, Christian Brauner wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> > This patchset makes it possible to retrieve pid file descriptors at
> > process creation time by introducing the new flag CLONE_PIDFD to the
> > clone() system call as previously discussed.
>
> Sorry, for highjacking this thread, but I'm curious on what things to
> consider when introducing new CLONE_* flags.
>
> The reason I'm asking is:
>
> I'm working on implementing plan9-like fs namespaces, where unprivileged
> processes can change their own namespace at will. For that, certain

Is there any place where we can see previous discussion about this?

> traditional unix'ish things have to be disabled, most notably suid.

If you have to disable suid anyway, then is there any reason why the
existing ability to do this in a private user namespace, with only
your own uid mapped (which you can do without any privilege) does
not suffice?  That was actually one of the main design goals of user
namespaces, to be able to clone(CLONE_NEWUSER), map your current uid,
then clone(CLONE_NEWNS) and bind mount at will.