[On behalf of justin...@arm.com]

Hi Matthew

On 2019/9/20 23:53, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 09:54:37PM +0800, Jia He wrote:
-static inline void cow_user_page(struct page *dst, struct page *src, unsigned
long va, struct vm_area_struct *vma)
+static inline int cow_user_page(struct page *dst, struct page *src,
+                               struct vm_fault *vmf)
  {
Can we talk about the return type here?

+                       } else {
+                               /* Other thread has already handled the fault
+                                * and we don't need to do anything. If it's
+                                * not the case, the fault will be triggered
+                                * again on the same address.
+                                */
+                               pte_unmap_unlock(vmf->pte, vmf->ptl);
+                               return -1;
+       return 0;
  }
So -1 for "try again" and 0 for "succeeded".

+               if (cow_user_page(new_page, old_page, vmf)) {
Then we use it like a bool.  But it's kind of backwards from a bool because
false is success.

+                       /* COW failed, if the fault was solved by other,
+                        * it's fine. If not, userspace would re-fault on
+                        * the same address and we will handle the fault
+                        * from the second attempt.
+                        */
+                       put_page(new_page);
+                       if (old_page)
+                               put_page(old_page);
+                       return 0;
And we don't use the return value; in fact we invert it.

Would this make more sense:

static inline bool cow_user_page(struct page *dst, struct page *src,
                                        struct vm_fault *vmf)
                                pte_unmap_unlock(vmf->pte, vmf->ptl);
                                return false;
        return true;
                if (!cow_user_page(new_page, old_page, vmf)) {

That reads more sensibly for me.  We could also go with returning a
vm_fault_t, but that would be more complex than needed today, I think.

Ok, will change the return type to bool as you suggested.
Thanks

---
Cheers,
Justin (Jia He)