On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:38:17AM +0100, James Morse wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> On 11/10/2019 11:05, Sudeep Holla wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:26:04AM +0200, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> >> Recently I've got access to ARM Juno R1 board and did some tests with
> >> current mainline kernel on it. I'm a bit surprised that enabling
> >> CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING causes a boot failure on this board. After enabling
> >> this Kconfig option, I get no single message from the kernel, although I
> >> have earlycon enabled.
>
> > I don't have Juno R1 but I tried defconfig + CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING and
> > it boots fine.
>
> I just tried this on my r1, v5.4-rc1 with this configuration worked just fine.
>
> My cmdline is:
> | root=/dev/sda6 loglevel=9 earlycon=pl011,0x7ff80000 hugepagesz=2M
> hugepages=512
> | crashkernel=1G console=ttyAMA0 resume=/dev/sda2 no_console_suspend efi=debug
>

> >> I've did my test with default defconfig and current linux-next,
> >> v5.4-rc1, v5.3 and v4.19. In all cases the result is the same. I'm
> >> booting kernel using a precompiled uboot from Linaro release and TFTP
> >> download.
>
> > OK, I use UEFI+GRUB but I don't think that should cause any issue.
>
> ... same ... this uboot binary looks like the main difference.
> Is it using u-boots UEFI support? Is it possible to turn that off?

Did give a quick try with mainline uboot on my Juno R2 and it boots fine.
Not sure if EFI support is default there. I am using
vexpress_aemv8a_juno_defconfig

> It may that lockdep is just perturbing the size of the binary. It adds an
> extra 4MB for me.

The image size was 35MB.

I was thinking if it has some wrongly configured firmware, but since
defconfig works, it must have sane firmware.

--
Regards,
Sudeep