On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 09:30:33 +0100
Niklas Schnelle <schne...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> I'm not really familiar, with it but I think this is closely related
> to what I asked Bernd Nerz. I fear that if CPUs go away we might already
> be in trouble at the firmware/hardware/platform level because the CPU Address
> is
> "programmed into the device" so to speak. Thus a directed interrupt from
> a device may race with anything reordering/removing CPUs even if
> CPU addresses of dead CPUs are not reused and the mapping is stable.

From your answer, I read that CPU hot-unplug is supported for LPAR.

> Furthermore our floating fallback path will try to send a SIGP
> to the target CPU which clearly doesn't work when that is permanently
> gone. Either way I think these issues are out of scope for this fix
> so I will go ahead and merge this.

I agree, it makes on sense to delay this fix.

But if CPU hot-unplug is supported, I believe we should react when
a CPU is unplugged, that is a target of directed interrupts. My guess
is, that in this scenario transient hiccups are unavoidable, and thus
should be accepted, but we should make sure that we recover.

Regards,
Halil