On 1/10/21 18:32, Pavel Begunkov wrote:
> On 11/01/2021 02:06, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
>>> It's obvious that 3-4 extra mov $0 off(%reg) won't change performance
>>> but still hasn't been formally confirmed ...
>> This is obvious for you and me since we spent time into looking into
>> resulting assembly not every reviewer is expected to do that see [1].
>>> ... so if you don't mind, I won't be resending just for that.
>> As per commit log guidelines [1] you have to quantify the optimization.
>>
>> Since you cannot quantify the optimization modify the commit log explaining
> And then you see "Optimizations usually aren’t free but trade-offs
> between", and the patch doesn't fall under it.
First part applies to all the optimizations with and without tradeoffs
"Quantify optimizations and trade-offs."
The later part doesn't mean optimizations without trade-offs should be
allowed without having any supportive data.

> Let me be frank, I see it more like as a whim. If the maintainer agrees
> with that strange requirement of yours and want to bury it under
> bureaucracy, fine by me, don't take it, I don't care, but I haven't
> ever been asked here to do that for patches as this.
I didn't write the commit log guidelines, as a reviewer I'm following them.
The patch commit log claims optimization with neither having any data nor
having the supporting fact ("possibly no observable difference but in the
long term it matters") for the completeness.
> It's not "I cannot" but rather "I haven't even tried to and expect...".
> Don't mix, there is a huge difference between.
Then provide the numbers to support your claim.