On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 14:48:24 -0500
Peter Xu <pet...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 12:26:07PM -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 13:47:39 -0500
> > Peter Xu <pet...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > It seems to me that searching vma list is still the simplest way to fix
> > > the
> > > problem for the current code base.  I see io_remap_pfn_range() is also
> > > used in
> > > the new series - maybe that'll need to be moved to where
> > > PCI_COMMAND_MEMORY got
> > > turned on/off in the new series (I just noticed remap_pfn_range modifies
> > > vma
> > > flags..), as you suggested in the other email.
> >

> > In the new series, I think the fault handler becomes (untested):
> >
> > static vm_fault_t vfio_pci_mmap_fault(struct vm_fault *vmf)
> > {
> >         struct vm_area_struct *vma = vmf->vma;
> >         struct vfio_pci_device *vdev = vma->vm_private_data;
> >         unsigned long base_pfn, pgoff;
> >         vm_fault_t ret = VM_FAULT_SIGBUS;
> >
> >         if (vfio_pci_bar_vma_to_pfn(vma, &base_pfn))
> >                 return ret;
> >
> >         pgoff = (vmf->address - vma->vm_start) >> PAGE_SHIFT;
> >
> >         down_read(&vdev->memory_lock);
> >
> >         if (__vfio_pci_memory_enabled(vdev))
> >                 ret = vmf_insert_pfn(vma, vmf->address, pgoff + base_pfn);
> >
> >         up_read(&vdev->memory_lock);
> >
> >         return ret;
> > }
>
> It's just that the initial MMIO access delay would be spread to the 1st access
> of each mmio page access rather than using the previous pre-fault scheme.  I
> think an userspace cares the delay enough should pre-fault all pages anyway,
> but just raise this up.  Otherwise looks sane.

Yep, this is a concern.  Is it safe to have loops concurrently and fully
populating the same vma with vmf_insert_pfn()?  If it is then we could
just ignore that we're doing duplicate work when we hit this race
condition.  Otherwise we'd need to serialize again, perhaps via a lock
and flag stored in a struct linked from vm_private_data, along with
tracking to free that object :-\  Thanks,

Alex