Hi Andy,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 3:58 PM Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 4:54 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <ge...@linux-m68k.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 3:35 PM Andy Shevchenko
> > <andy.shevche...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It seems I missed that you are talking about platform device drivers.
> >
> > OK.
> >
> > > In any case it's not true. We have the platform drivers w/o legacy
> > > users that are not dependent on OF.
> >
> > Example? ;-)
>
> i2c-owl.c

I2C_OWL depends on ARCH_ACTIONS || COMPILE_TEST

(arm32) ARCH_ACTIONS depends on ARCH_MULTI_V7
                     depends on ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM
                     ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM selects USE_OF
                     USE_OF selects OF
ARCH_MULTI_V7 selects ARCH_MULTI_V6_V7

(arm64) ARM64 selects OF

so we do have a dependency on OF, unless we're compile-testing.

> > > They may _indirectly_ be dependent, but this is fine as I stated above
> > > when suggested to move ACPI dependency on ARCH_xxx level.
> >
> > As per the response from the driver maintainer
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/bd8db435-24e1-5ab3-6b35-1d4d8a292...@hisilicon.com/,
> > there is no dependency on ARCH_HISI, so moving the ACPI dependency
> > up won't help.
>
> So, an ACPI dependency is simply not applicable here as it's a compile
> dependency as well, which is not a limitation for this driver. Again,
> talk to Masahiro how to handle this, but I don't see any good
> justification to have ACPI (compile time) dependency here. So, again
> NAK!

Please tell me how this driver will be probed when CONFIG_ACPI
is disabled (it cannot, as nothing instantiates platform devices of the
right type, so there is no reason to bother the user with a question about
this driver when configuring his kernel).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- ge...@linux-m68k.org