On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 10:23:49AM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:25:48 +0100
> Heiko Carstens <h...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > So, if it helps (this still happens with Linus' master branch):
> >
> > create_dir_dentry() is called with a "struct eventfs_inode *ei" (second
> > parameter), which points to a data structure where "is_freed" is 1. Then it
> > looks like create_dir() returned "-EEXIST". And looking at the code this
> > combination then must lead to d_invalidate() incorrectly being called with
> > "-EEXIST" as dentry pointer.
>
> I haven't looked too much at the error codes, let me do that on Monday
> (it's currently Turkey weekend here in the US).
>
> But could you test this branch:
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/trace/linux-trace.git
> trace/core
>
> I have a bunch of fixes in that branch that may fix your issue. I just
> finished testing it and plan on pushing it to Linus before the next rc
> release.

This is not that easy to reproduce, however you branch contains commit
71cade82f2b5 ("eventfs: Do not invalidate dentry in create_file/dir_dentry()")
which removes the d_invalidate() call.
The crash I reported cannot happen anymore with that commit. I'll consider
this fixed, and report again if this (or something else) still causes
problems.

Thanks!