On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 05:50:58AM -0400, Hengyu Liang wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 5:59 AM Joe Damato <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 02:57:47PM -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> 
> [...]
> 
> > >       default:
> > > -             ret = -EINVAL;
> > > +             ret = -ENOIOCTLCMD;
> > >               break;
> > >       }
> >
> > I think based on the documentation this is probably right, but I am now
> > wondering why both ep_eventpoll_ioctl and ep_eventpoll_bp_ioctl need to
> > exist.
> >
> > Maybe when I first implemented this I thought it made sense to factor
> > out the busy poll ioctls into their own function, but in retrospect maybe
> > it's cleaner to just collapse the ioctl function into a single one
> > instead of having two layers?
> >
> > In other words, maybe:
> >   - delete ep_eventpoll_ioctl
> >   - add the is_file_epoll check to ep_eventpoll_bp_ioctl
> >   - rename ep_eventpoll_bp_ioctl to ep_eventpoll_ioctl
> >   - fix the test (as you did in this version of the patch)
> >
> > Would result in a cleaner fewer helpers / cleaner code ?
> 
> Thanks for taking a look. Agreed, a single handler would be cleaner.
> Two things I noticed while looking into it:
> 
> 1. With CONFIG_NET_RX_BUSY_POLL=n, ep_eventpoll_bp_ioctl() is the stub
>    that returns -EOPNOTSUPP for every command. If it became the
>    .unlocked_ioctl handler as is, every ioctl on an epoll fd would fail
>    with EOPNOTSUPP on those kernels, which is the same problem in a
>    different config. So the stub would need to keep a small switch:
> 
>     static long ep_eventpoll_ioctl(struct file *file, unsigned int cmd,
>                                    unsigned long arg)
>     {
>         switch (cmd) {
>         case EPIOCSPARAMS:
>         case EPIOCGPARAMS:
>             return -EOPNOTSUPP;
>         default:
>             return -ENOIOCTLCMD;
>         }
>     }

Yea, I see. I read it more closely this time. I suspect when I wrote this
originally, I had factored the code this way that way the stub could take care
of the CONFIG_NET_RX_BUSY_POLL=n case. So, now I'm not sure it make sense to
fold them into a single handler becauase we'd end up duplicating the switch
logic in two places for each CONFIG_NET_RX_BUSY_POLL setting.

So, in retrospect, I think probably the original patch you proposed might be
the best option. Sorry if I misread it the first time. 

Reply via email to