On Fri, Oct 02, 2026 at 09:10:45AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote: > On Thu, 1 Oct 2026 at 22:41, Jarkko Sakkinen <[email protected]> wrote: > > > > Please pull these bug fixes, which have landed after v7.3-rc1. > > Jarkko, I've asked you before: please write an explanation for your > pull requests. > > "Please pull" is not a reason to pull. The "which landed after > v7.3-rc1" is also not talking about what they do. > > The tag contains three lines of text, and none of those lines are in > the least helpful or relevant to the contents of the pull.
I do remember that you've said about this a few times. > > It doesn't have to be much. For simple driver fixes it can sometimes > be as trivial as just "Misc trivial fixes". But in this case it > clearly could have been something like "Fix tpm error handling and > buffer size bugs". Merge messages and pull requests don't need the > _details_ - those are in the individual commits - but they should have > a high-level "what happened" overview. I meditated for a while before answering. It's best to not do what I've done or try to fix it. Nothing works; neither me nor the process... I'll start faithfully writing cover letters progressively on side while reviewing. That resolves about 75% of "what words to use" and that type of stuff. I mean I'm also right now zeroing my hard effort from code reviews by not writing down the facts when they are still are fresh. > > And this pull request is actively hard to parse. The subject line says > "for-next". So I have to look at an email that is actively *trying* to > make it hard for me to decide whether I should pull and gives me *no* > information at all about what it contains. I'll change it to: "[GIT PULL] TPM DEVICE DRIVER changes for vX.Y.Z-rcW" > > Be better. Please. > > LInus I'll do exactly what said above I will do, which I hope will equal to that :-) Br, Jarkko

