[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike A. Harris) writes:

>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Dennis wrote:

>>The biggest thing that the linux community does to stifle innovation is to
>>bash commercial vendors trying to make a profit by whining endlessly about
>>"sourceless" distributions and recommending "open-source" solutions even
>>when they are wholly inferior. You're only hurting yourselves in the long
>>run. In that respect MS is correct, because those with the dollars to
>>innovate will stay away.

>Try telling that to IBM, Intel, Compaq, Hewlett Packard, Dell,
>SGI, and a handful of other _major_ computer companies that now
>realize the importance of open source.

No. They spent some small money on it and wait and see how it works
out. If it doesnt't, well, life goes on.

If IBM, Intel, Compaq, HP, Dell, SGI and other companies would
wholeheartedly drop their Windows support in favour of Linux, that I
would call "a move". If HP would spent only 5% of their driver writing
buget for Windows into Linux driver development, that I would call "a
move".

Everything else is just "Keeping our options open".

In this market, there are IMHO only two companies that have themselves
openly and clearly committed: SUN and Microsoft.

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20