On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Dennis wrote:

> At 07:01 PM 02/16/2001, Alan Olsen wrote:
> >On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Dennis wrote:
> >
> > > There is much truth to the concept, although Microsoft should not be ones
> > > to comment on it as such.
> >
> >What truth?  I have seen more "innovation" in the Open Source movement
> >than I ever have in my 18+ years of being a professional programmer.
>
> You are confusing "progress" with "innovation".

Not necessarily: both exist in open source projects.

> If there is only 1 choice, thats not innovation.

You are confusing "innovation" with "competition".

> Expanding on a bad idea, or even a good one, is not innovation.

Correct. Having the idea in the first place is innovation.

> Designing something differently to make it better is innovation.  I suppose
> you could argue that redesigning linux every few  years is innovation, but

Not really. Changing Linux to take advantage of some new concept would be
innovation. Adding a new feature would be innovation.

> unfortunately its the same cast of characters doing it, so its not very
> innovative.

There is no need for innovation to involve different/new PEOPLE, just new
IDEAS.

James.