Naoya Horiguchi wrote:
> Thp related code also uses per process mm->page_table_lock now. So making
> it fine-grained can provide better performance.
>
> This patch makes thp support split page table lock which makes us use
> page->ptl of the pages storing "pmd_trans_huge" pmds.

Hm. So, you use page->ptl only when you deal with thp pages, otherwise
mm->page_table_lock, right?

It looks inconsistent to me. Does it mean we have to take both locks on
split and collapse paths? I'm not sure if it's safe to take only
page->ptl for alloc path. Probably not.

Why not to use new locking for pmd everywhere?

--
 Kirill A. Shutemov