On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Gleb Natapov <g...@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 11:16:34AM +0800, Dennis Chen wrote:

>> > Page-walk length of 4 is the only one that is supported.
>> >
>> Since there is a bit 6 in IA32_VMX_EPT_VPID_CAP MSR indicating the
>> support for the page-walk length, I think sanity check is necessary.
>> But I just checked the code, it's already done in the hardware_setup()
>> function which will disable ept feature if the page-wake length is not
>> 4. Gleb, any comments for the memory type check part?
> Looks fine, but are there CPUs out there that do not support WB for eptp?
> Since
> there was no bug reports about it I assume no.

Hmm, currently I can't find a x86 processor that don't support WB for
eptp, also there is no relevant bug reported.
I just read the intel SDM 24.6.11: SW should read the VMX capability
MSR_IA32_VMX_EPT_VPID_CAP to determine
what EPT MT are supported. But looks like this is not a big concern in
the community, so let's go back this thread if
we encounter one unfornately in the future. Thanks for the comments.

--
Den