----- Original Message -----
> From: "Vivek Goyal" <vgo...@redhat.com>
> To: "CAI Qian" <caiq...@redhat.com>
> <kexec-kdump-l...@redhat.com>,
> "kexec" <ke...@lists.infradead.org>, "linux-kernel" vger.kernel.org>,
> "crash-utility"
> redhat.com>
> Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 10:47:13 PM
> Subject: Re: [RFC] autokdump - automated kdump testsuite
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 09:00:00AM -0400, CAI Qian wrote:

It will be totally a rewrite from scratch, and will have no direct relationship
with the rest of the LTP.

> > > So you will write logic to prepare custom initramfs or will rely
> > > on dracut or some other utility for that.
> > I'll probably prepare custom initramfs for the sake of simplicity.
>
> Well, preparing custom initramfs will become very tricky. We used
> to do that and finally we switched to dracut.
>
> Why not simply let the respective service on the host do this job and
> test only makes sure that kdump service is running. It feels little
> out of place that a test is generating custom initramfs.
Because not every distro will have a kdump service like Fedora.

> > > Why not save core and boot back in first kernel and then analyze.
> > >
> > > Trying to work directly with /proc/vmcore does not test makedumfile
> > > which everybody uses. Also it will require more memory to be reserved
> > > and packing crash and debug vmlinux into initramfs.
> > The additional memory for vmlinux and the crash utility is predictable
> > and manageable, so it can just ask 256M memory reserved before running
> > the program. On the other hand, it is not usually feasible to ask
> > the systems under testing has enough available disk spaces bigger than
> > the memory size.
>
> makedumpfile will reduce the vmcore file size to few hundreds of mega
> bytes on most of the systems. Especially, this is just a test, so
> system will be lightly loaded and vmcore will be small after filtering.
It probably actually have test cases to heavily loaded the memory before
dumping.

> If there is not enough space, test fails, period. I don't think there
> is any need to try to circumvent that and try to run crash in initramfs.
> And in the process we don't test makedumpfile which is very imporatnt
> component of this whole process.
Test makedumpfile is in plan. Tests failed because of lack of disk space
is a testsuite design problem, and especially problematic on those large
memory systems that we had seen more and more those days.

> IMHO, just rely on "systemctl start kdump" to generate and load custom
> initramfs and save filtered vmcore to root fs by default and alanyze
> vmcore post reboot. That will keep things simple.
Again, not every major distro has that.
   CAI Qian