On 01/28/2015 05:24 AM, Seth Jennings wrote:
On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 10:33:43AM -0600, Seth Jennings wrote:
On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:59:19PM +0900, Heesub Shin wrote:
zbud is a memory allocator for storing compressed data pages. It keeps
two data objects of arbitrary size on a single page. This simple design
provides very deterministic behavior on reclamation, which is one of
reasons why zswap selected zbud as a default allocator over zsmalloc.

Unlike zsmalloc, however, zbud does not support highmem. This is
problomatic especially on 32-bit machines having relatively small
lowmem. Compressing anonymous pages from highmem and storing them into
lowmem could eat up lowmem spaces.

This limitation is due to the fact that zbud manages its internal data
structures on zbud_header which is kept in the head of zbud_page. For
example, zbud_pages are tracked by several lists and have some status
information, which are being referenced at any time by the kernel. Thus,
zbud_pages should be allocated on a memory region directly mapped,
lowmem.

After some digging out, I found that internal data structures of zbud
can be kept in the struct page, the same way as zsmalloc does. So, this
series moves out all fields in zbud_header to struct page. Though it
alters quite a lot, it does not add any functional differences except
highmem support. I am afraid that this kind of modification abusing
several fields in struct page would be ok.

Hi Heesub,

Sorry for the very late reply.  The end of October was very busy for me.

A little history on zbud.  I didn't put the metadata in the struct
page, even though I knew that was an option since we had done it with
zsmalloc. At the time, Andrew Morton had concerns about memmap walkers
getting messed up with unexpected values in the struct page fields.  In
order to smooth zbud's acceptance, I decided to store the metadata
inline in the page itself.

Later, zsmalloc eventually got accepted, which basically gave the
impression that putting the metadata in the struct page was acceptable.

I have recently been looking at implementing compaction for zsmalloc,
but having the metadata in the struct page and having the handle
directly encode the PFN and offset of the data block prevents
transparent relocation of the data. zbud has a similar issue as it
currently encodes the page address in the handle returned to the user
(also the limitation that is preventing use of highmem pages).

I would like to implement compaction for zbud too and moving the
metadata into the struct page is going to work against that. In fact,
I'm looking at the option of converting the current zbud_header into a
per-allocation metadata structure, which would provide a layer of
indirection between zbud and the user, allowing for transparent
relocation and compaction.

I had some downtime and started thinking about this again today (after
3 months).

Upon further reflection, I really like this and don't think that it
inhibits introducing compaction later.

There are just a few places that look messy or problematic to me:

1. the use of page->private and masking the number of chunks for both
buddies into it (see suggestion for overlay struct below)
2. the use of the second double word &page->index to store a list_head

#2 might be problematic because, IIRC, memmap walkers will check _count
(or _mapcount).  I think we ran into this in zsmalloc.

Initially, when working on zsmalloc, I just created a structure that
overlaid the struct page in the memmap, reserving the flags and _count
areas, so that I wouldn't have to be bound by the field names/boundaries
in the struct page.

IIRC, Andrew was initially against that, but he was also against the
whole idea of using the struct page fields for random stuff... I that
ended up being accepted.

This code looks really good!  I think with a little cleanup and finding
a way to steer clear of using the _count part of the structure, this
will be great.

Thanks for your comments! I will try to address problems you pointed and post a new patchset hopefully soon.

regards,
heesub

Sorry for dismissing it earlier.  Didn't give it enough credit.

Thanks,
Seth

However, I do like the part about letting zbud use highmem pages.

I have something in mind that would allow highmem pages _and_ move
toward something that would support compaction.  I'll see if I can put
it into code today.

Thanks,
Seth

Heesub Shin (9):
   mm/zbud: tidy up a bit
   mm/zbud: remove buddied list from zbud_pool
   mm/zbud: remove lru from zbud_header
   mm/zbud: remove first|last_chunks from zbud_header
   mm/zbud: encode zbud handle using struct page
   mm/zbud: remove list_head for buddied list from zbud_header
   mm/zbud: drop zbud_header
   mm/zbud: allow clients to use highmem pages
   mm/zswap: use highmem pages for compressed pool

  mm/zswap.c |   4 +-

1.9.1