On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Chuck Wolber <chu...@quantumlinux.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Bradley Willson wrote:
>
> > Thanks to all who responded!  The consensus seems to be "while a
> > security risk, it can be done".  I do understand the underpinnings of
> > sysreq; turning it on and off, piping commands to the trigger, logging,
> > and what-have-you, but aside from using sysreqd (one maintainer, outside
> > the realm of RHEL repos, etc, -- not a prod. env. option) are there
> > environment settings that might make-or-break it in a SOL session?
>
> Make-or-break? It is designed specifically for SOL sessions, so probably
> forgetting to turn it on would be a way to "break" it I guess.
>
> As for environment settings, it is a kernel level facility that grabs
> keyboard input before it is sent to higher levels of the application
> stack. Thus the only environment that would affect it is kernel level and
> below.

Fair enough.  However, the bit I am struggling with is how at the console
the magic key combinations work; dumping output to both screen and logs, yet
over a SOL session, those same magic keys yield nothing, anywhere.  It's
safe to assume it is turned on if keystrokes on the crash cart produce
results.

--
Bradley Willson
(Mobile) 425.891.2732, (Google Voice) 425-200-5342