I'm installing RHEL 6.2 on new equipment. I decided to abandon my twelve-year-old copy of fvwm and migrate to gnome desktop, mostly as it comes out of the box.

Documentation seems appallingly sparse and to some extent inaccurate. I want to simply add a few items to the "applications" menu. It's trivial enough to add an application launch to the panel itself -- but I don't see what rhel 6 provides for altering a
drop-down menu.

I think I could do it by messing with .menu files, but isn't there some straightforward way to do this interactively from userland? It looks like there is in Ubuntu and perhaps CentOS.

Billy