Ubuntu became my favorite in 2006 and I've used it ever since. Prior to that I preferred RPM-based distros, Red Hat, Suse, and Mandrake.

Ubuntu has polished terminal colors (and now a beautiful hand-crafted terminal font), good hardware support, and a nice security model (sudo with no root password). Some of their packages include cool patches that upstream OSS developers don't include by default. And pretty much all Ubuntu knowledge transfers directly to Debian systems. The cold boot time is targeted at 10 seconds or less, and there is excellent support for running Ubuntu as a server O.S. (i.e., recent LAMP packages, well-documented config files, frequent security updates, etc.). There is also good support for using Ubuntu as a development platform.

Ubuntu has had some blowback in the last few months because they are pushing their new tablet-friendly GUI (called "Unity") very hard. In 11.04 and 11.10 it was a pain to get back to a familiar Gnome desktop. But they listened to customer feedback and now the Gnome desktop is a one-click install (but it is still not the default). I think the 11.xx series was a debacle but I appreciate them trying to move forward in a new direction (instead of just copying the same old "Start" button that's been in vogue since Windows 95).

Linux Mint is another .deb-based system that has been gaining a lot of steam. After Ubuntu 11.10 a lot of Ubuntu users jumped ship to Mint. I believe Mint is the fastest growing distro right now.

I still see a lot of Red Hat / Fedora / CentOS in my work and I find it easy to switch between them. Certainly much easier than it was flipping between HP/UX, Mach/NextSTEP, Solaris, and Irix (back when those things existed).

I recommend you try Ubuntu (with the default Unity Desktop), Ubuntu plus Gnome (for the classic Ubuntu people love), and Mint. Please let us know what you try and what you liked.

--Derek