Thanks very much to the large number of people who replied off- and
on-list.  No surprise, everybody's got their own favorites!  From the
preponderance of replies, I'm guessing that when I come back to setting up
the spare machine on which I gave up on RHEL 6.2 yesterday, I'll likely
first try Fedora, see how it grabs me, and maybe quickly switch over to
Ubuntu.  Or something.  (I hadn't heard of Mint before several mentioned it
yesterday.)  I don't need heavy-duty media capability; I just need to have
all the hopelessly broken RHEL rpm's up and working, and with some extra
libraries so that more of what's in, say, Dag Wieers' site starts working.

Billy