Any distro will still require a ton of updates. I'd suggest finding a place
with an internet connection.

Regarding a laptop, Today, woot.com has a Lenovo Thinkpad for $299.00. It
comes
with Win 7, but you could blow that away.

--
Larry M. Bateman, (l...@l3sys.com)
      L3 Systems, Inc., PO Box 2954, Redmond, WA 98073