Dne 30. 08. 23 v 8:40 Vishal Chourasia napsal(a):
Hi All,

I hope this email finds you well. I am currently facing an issue with
booting a VM using a custom-compiled kernel and would appreciate your
expertise on the matter.

Hi

Not really sure how this relates to 'lvm2' yet - your kernel 'stuck' seems to be caused by the inability to switch to 'rootfs' - which should be located on /dev/vda3 (according to your qemu exec line) - but kernel panics
reports that device does not have recognizable filesystem.

There seems to be no lvm2 involved at all so far.

### Problem Description
I have downloaded the `Fedora-Server-KVM-38-1.6.x86_64.qcow2` image and
successfully booted it using `qemu-system-x86_64`. However, when I try
to boot this VM with a custom-compiled kernel using the `-kernel` flag,
it fails to boot. The root filesystem is on LVM, and it seems the kernel
needs to activate volume groups before mounting the root filesystem.

If you believe the filesystem is really on LVM and your /dev/vda3 is just a PV - then your boot line is wrong - and you need to be using different naming -
possibly something like:
root=/dev/vgname/lvrootname rd.lvm.lv=vgname/lvrootname

dracut that needs to include lvm2 code and be able to activate such LV prior switch to rootfs (having somewhere inside lvchange -ay vgname/lvrootname)

But it's not really clear how have you moved from your /dev/vda3 to
something on top of lvm2...

Regards

Zdenek