On 8/30/23 20:01, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Dne 30. 08. 23 v 8:40 Vishal Chourasia napsal(a):
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I hope this email finds you well. I am currently facing an issue with
>> booting a VM using a custom-compiled kernel and would appreciate your
>> expertise on the matter.
>>

> Hi
>
> Not really sure how this relates to 'lvm2' yet - your kernel 'stuck'
> seems to be caused by the inability to switch to 'rootfs'  - which
> should be located on /dev/vda3  (according to your qemu exec line) - but
> kernel panics
> reports that device does not have recognizable filesystem.
>
> There seems to be no lvm2 involved at all so far.
>

>> ### Problem Description
>> I have downloaded the `Fedora-Server-KVM-38-1.6.x86_64.qcow2` image and
>> successfully booted it using `qemu-system-x86_64`. However, when I try
>> to boot this VM with a custom-compiled kernel using the `-kernel` flag,
>> it fails to boot. The root filesystem is on LVM, and it seems the kernel
>> needs to activate volume groups before mounting the root filesystem.
>
> If you believe the filesystem is really on LVM and your /dev/vda3 is
> just a PV - then your boot line is wrong - and you need to be using
> different naming -
> possibly something like:
> root=/dev/vgname/lvrootname rd.lvm.lv=vgname/lvrootname
# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,gpt2)/vmlinuz-6.4.7-200.fc38.x86_64
root=/dev/mapper/sysvg-root ro console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200n8
rd.lvm.lv=sysvg/root

I have tried passing "root=/dev/mapper/sysvg-root rd.lvm.lv=sysvg/root"
with the -append option and it hasn't worked either.

> dracut that needs to include lvm2 code and be able to activate such LV
> prior switch to rootfs  (having somewhere inside  lvchange -ay
> vgname/lvrootname)
1. How may I verify that dracut has included lvm2 code or not?
2. Which file in the dracut would contain
   `lvchange -ay vgname/lvrootname` code?

> But it's not really clear how have you moved from your /dev/vda3 to
> something on top of lvm2...
Not sure what you mean by this.
#### lsblk
```
NAME           MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sr0             11:0    1 1024M  0 rom
zram0          251:0    0  3.8G  0 disk [SWAP]
vda            252:0    0    7G  0 disk
├─vda1         252:1    0    1M  0 part
├─vda2         252:2    0    1G  0 part /boot
└─vda3         252:3    0    6G  0 part
  └─sysvg-root 253:0    0    6G  0 lvm  /
```
From lsblk output I see sysvg-root is part of /dev/vda3 and therefore I
tried running qemu with different permutations. /dev/vda3 was one of
them but nothing has worked so far.