On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > macmace: tx ring ran out? (fs=80)
> > > [...]
> >
> > Interesting. I rarely saw those messages in my tests, so I guess I
> > should try different workloads. That message is triggered with only 1
> > or 2 packets in the TX DMA ring buffer, but I don't know if it is
> > meaningful (it comes from mace.c, which uses a different DMA scheme.
> > The av quadra DMA engine is completely undocumented other than the
> > NetBSD source...)
>
> Maybe the message can be disabled, if just a few packets in the transmit
> ring is normal for macmace :-)

Yes, that's normal, but the same tx_count variable that triggers the "ran
out" message when 0 also trips the netif_wake_queue when non-zero, which
could explain the tx_timeout... so maybe there's a real bug here. But at
least the driver has timeout recovery now.

> ...Well, the good news is SCSI seems to work on my Falcon now (the final
> cause of data corruption was the notorious DMA clock instability on the
> Falcon when the bus load by the VIDEL gets too high).

Great. The bad news is my Daystar Mac II and LC630 no longer boot (they
were ok around 2.6.10). My Mac IIci doesn't boot either, but that never
did boot 2.6. The Q650 and Q700 are usually OK, but the 650 sometimes
fails with the same SCSI failure that kills the 630 on almost every boot
(but even 2.6.7 had that bug, just harder to trigger. It only fails during
device probing. If you get past that, it is solid.).

Around 2.6.10 I could also boot the 630 from IDE, but I noticed from
around 2.6.16 and later the disk never spins up again after penguin spins
it down, and can't be used ("no such device" or something like that). Pity
about that, it was faster than the SCSI driver.

> I still need to re-test the alternate command completion on reset, and
> the 'fairness-wait' stuff, but it basically works again. Leaves EtherNAT
>
> So if you have something to test on the ADB front, I'd be happy to try
> :-)

Great. I think I've got all the bugs out now, but the Mac II ADB driver is
a complex beast and it should get a bit more testing (particularly on IIx,
IIcx, IIci, SE/30, Q610, Q800 -- though AFAIK only the last 2 will boot
far enough to test ADB). So, here it is.

    http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/patches/quilt/macii-adb-fixes

-f

-