On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 1:31 AM Finn Thain <fth...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018, Linus Walleij wrote:

> > Apart from this (which is the most important step!) I think the custom
> > LED heartbeat code in kernel/time.c needs to be replaced with a standard
> > drivers/leds driver for each LED using the "heartbeat" trigger as is
> > custom these days.
> >
> > That should clean out another chunk of legacy time-related code.
> >

> Are you referring to LED heartbeat code in arch/m68k/kernel/time.c?
>
> > I suppose you are currently keeping the call to timer_interrupt() for
> > exactly this reason (i.e. keep the heartbeat LED blinking)?
>
> It would be great to have that call inlined, which the compiler can't do
> at the moment, because timer_interrupt() is in a different compilation
> unit (arch/m68k/kernel/time.c).
>
> Is there some other benefit to eliminating the call to timer_interrupt()
> that I've overlooked?

I mean that whole thing should go away by abstracting those LEDs
(for the systems that have them) using the struct led_classdev,
populating a proper platform device for it and instantiate using
a driver in drivers/leds/*, and the function to provide the heartbeat
be replaced with the existing heartbeat trigger in
drivers/leds/trigger/ledtrig-heartbeat.c assigned as default
trigger for that LED.

I think that is WAY out of the focus for your current work (which,
by the way, is a piece of art) but more something for the m68k
maintainers to look into.

Yours,
Linus Walleij